09 April, 2013

BLACK BEAN SOUP

Spring is slow this year. Warm sunny days turn into cool evenings. It's raining today and apparently there is snow in the forecast. On days like today I feel like staying in bed but I have so much on my plate right now: studies, work, finalizing details of my 3-week trip... I get up early, rush through my day, and in the evening warm myself up with a bowl of soup.


what you need 

  • olive oil
  • 1 small onion finely cubed
  • 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 can diced tomatoes  (replace with 4-5 fresh cubed tomatoes)
  • 2 cups tomato juice (could be replaced by 2-3 tbsp tomato paste)
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 2-3 medium sweet potatoes, cubed
  • 4 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp ground oregano
  • 1 can black beans 
  • 1 sweet red pepper, cut in strips
  • salt, pepper to taste


what to do

  •  In a large pot heat olive oil and cook onions and garlic until tender
  • Add sweet potatoes, tomatoes, tomato juice, vegetable broth, sugar, and spices.  Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes (or until potatoes are tender)
  • Add black beans and cook for another 10 minutes
  • Add pepper, cook for 5 more minutes, taste and adjust for seasoning
  • Serve with tortilla chips, guacamole, fresh cilantro, sliced green onions, shredded cheese, or a dollop of sour cream

What is your favorite recipe to keep you warm in Spring?

_____
Looking for more Spring recipes?  Here are some of my favorites:

No comments:

Post a Comment