You can also adjust how filling it will be by adding a variety of toppings. I chose a touch of fresh basil from the garden, green onions, and grated carrots.
This is a slightly adapted version of a Mixed Mushroom Soup With Bok Choy from "Vegetarian soups for all seasons" by Nava Atlas. The book has lots of interesting seasonal soups and is a must have for any soup lover.
what you need:
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups vegetable broth (low sodium)
- 8-10 dried shiitake mushrooms
- about 1 1/2 cups sliced small mushrooms (white, cremini, or any other)
- 2 portobella mushrooms caps thinly sliced
- 5-6 stalks bok choy, thinly sliced
- soy sauce and a variety of garnishes, like shredded carrots, herbs, thinly sliced radishes, celery, etc. (optional)
what to do:
- In a soup pot heat the oil, add minced garlic, and saute over medium heat until fragrant (3-5 minutes). Add the broth and mushrooms, bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let stand for a little bit. Strain, reserving the mushrooms. Slice mushroom cups.
- Add raw mushrooms to the broth and simmer for another 10-15 minutes, or until the mushrooms are done.
- Taste, adjust for seasoning, add bok choy, and let cook for a couple of minutes. Remove from the heat, cover and let stand for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve topped with garnishes, while still hot or cold.
And if you are looking for more hot weather recipes, here are some of my favourites
A year ago: FRUITY SUMMER LEMONADES
Two years ago: CAMPING AT MONT-TREMBLANT